It's my birthday week! Jenn and I decided to make some Happy Birthday Parfaits for my party tonight. We will make a pastry cream using local Misty Brook Farm organic raw cream & Straws Farm organic eggs. To put together the parfait, we will layer the cream and raspberries in champagne flutes for an elegant yet simple b-day dessert.
Sometimes life can feel so challenging, and I forget to take time to fully honor that there is so much to celebrate and so much to be thankful for about my life. Birthdays are the perfect time to focus on taking stock, letting go of what needs to go, and embracing the joy. I want to take this moment to give thanks for the abundance of flowers, fresh food, meaningful friendships, family and love that I get to experience when I open my eyes and see it right in front of me. Thank You life! Here's to 34.
refrigerate at least 4 hours before use
2 1/4 c half and half
6 egg yolks
2/3 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1 T vanilla
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 c cream, 6 yolks, 1/3 c sugar & 1/3 c flour.
- In a medium saucepan, pour remaining 3/4 c cream, 1/3 c sugar. Over medium heat, bring to almost a simmer, and gradually add yolk mixture while whisking rapidly and constantly, until cream is simmering and thickens, about 1 min.
- Remove from heat and quickly whisk until smooth.
- Pour onto a plastic wrapped baking sheet, cover with plastic and place the whole baking sheet in the fridge to chill, immediately.
- Chill at least 4 hours before use.
- Can keep in fridge up to 3 days.
- Use this recipe as a classic filling for fruit tarts & roulade cakes. Also use as a base for frangipane.